The Job of Furniture Movers in Perth – A Detailed Overview
What does a furniture mover do? Yes, as the name suggests, they do move and remove furniture. But to consider this as their only function would be a huge fallacy. Most furniture movers you have ever seen working or have heard about are employees of moving and storage companies, as well as Perth budget removalists. This gives testament to the fact that furniture movers are responsible for dealing with not only furniture but appliances, moving boxes and various other things involved with moving and removals. You might have seen a lot of freelance furniture movers on classified websites, offering their “expert” moving services to those in need. But these freelance movers only move your belongings from one floor to another, or from your house till the moving truck. That is the total extent of their responsibilities.
But when your work with reliable furniture movers in Perth, who are associated with a moving company of some repute, you will see that their job responsibilities include
- Creating an inventory of items to be packed
- Packing all your belongings in the most secure and efficient way
- Loading all your packed belongings in one or many moving trucks
- Driving the truck to your new home or business location
- Unloading all items in the back of the trucks
- Carrying them inside the premises
- Unpacking them as efficiently as possible
The above list sums up the basic job responsibilities of a furniture mover. But if you think for a second that the job of affordable removalists in Perth is easy, and anyone can do it, you would be sadly mistaken. Let us now take an in-depth look what a furniture mover usually does for you:
- The job of a furniture mover or furniture removalist involves a lot of heavy lifting, being focused and on their feet at all times, and the added pressure of taking care of every item they pack, unpack, load or unload. Punctuality is also a big worry for all furniture movers. You might ask WHY, but in all honesty, the answer is so simple that you did not even have to ask the question.
- Whenever you hire the services of furniture movers, you sign a service contract with them. This service contract includes some terms and conditions, one of them being the time frame within which your belongings will be delivered from your old home to the new one.
- Now if a furniture mover does not stick to a fixed schedule, he will end up compromising his punctuality, which would legally mean a breach of contract. Any client or customer can easily file for a refund if there is a delay of even 15 minutes. So, to avoid such issues, furniture movers must always stress about being on time at all times.
If you were “smart” enough to pack your own boxes, then a furniture remover will go through all the boxes and items of furniture you have packed and put numbered or coloured stickers on them. The numbers or colours of these stickers will be noted down on the inventory sheet you created, or they created for you, in accordance with the items packed. There are two copies of the inventory sheet, one for you, the customer, and one for the movers. You need to check each and every item in the sheet and match them with the numbers or colours yourself to make sure that everything is in order.
The Moving Process
The furniture removalists specialize in shifting heavyweight furniture to a brand new location without any hassle. In a few cases, if the staircase of any house remains too narrow for bringing down huge furniture to the moving truck, they use crane and additional accessories to make sure those can be shifted without any scratch on it. For moving the small furniture, they use packing pads and other fillers to make sure the furniture remain in place. However, not all the companies have the right equipment and accessories to move huge furniture like piano, pool tables or spa sets. Therefore, it is mandatory to ask before you make the final deal.
- Another vital job responsibility that furniture movers perform is securing all your packed belongings in the back of the truck. You might be of the opinion that a furniture mover simply stashes a packing box or a piece of furniture in the back of the truck and that is the end of it. But actually, a mover or removalist has to strap everything in with extreme caution, so that nothing moves around uncontrollably when the truck is in motion.
- When the truck or trucks move, items stashed at the back have a tendency to collide with each other. This sort of collision usually causes scrapes or scratches, which can often be damaging as well as depressing. The job of a furniture mover here is to wrap all the packed items that are susceptible to collision, scrapes and scratches. A thick covering of blankets usually acts as a layer of protection and helps to keep everything intact, without damage, and scratch-free.
- When the moving trucks arrive at your new home, the furniture movers usually unload all the boxes from the trucks and carry them inside your home or apartment. Some movers might also make it a point to place each box and each item of furniture in the right rooms so as to lend you a helping hand.
- The job of the furniture mover does not end with unloading the goods. After the unloading process has been completed, the inventory list needs to be taken care off. Both the customer and the furniture mover will cross off each item or each packed box of the inventory list by coordinating the entries with the number of colour labels, so as to make sure that each and every box and piece of furniture has arrived at the customer’s new home, and has been unloaded.
Now that we have read about the job responsibilities of a furniture mover, let us now take a quick glance at the requisite requirements for becoming a certified furniture mover:
- No moving company sets any educational qualifications as criteria for hiring furniture movers, but a mover should be able to read and write to be able to perform basic literary functions like creating and reading the inventory list.
- A physical examination must be passed by all applicants to be eligible for being employed as a furniture mover. If any applicant is physically weak, then he is not allowed to appear for any further qualifying rounds. Physical strength is a necessity when it comes lifting heavy furniture.